An interesting insight into the world of Palmistry! Does the map inside our palm hold the key to our destiny?
Did you ever think you could learn about someone’s character just through their hands? Well believe it or not you can!
Even if you have never come in to contact with the person you are reading for the evidence is in the palm. In fact the more you look at someone’s hand, the more you will come to learn about that person from element, texture, gaps between fingers and patterns and lines on the palms. Believe it or not every print tells a story!
Where did it all begin?
As with many other divination techniques it is pretty hard to say for certain. However, palmistry is said to have been discovered in the East more than 5,000 years ago. There are also Indian, Japanese, and Korean writings on palmistry dating from this period. When palmistry finally arrived in Europe during the early Middle Ages it was largely undocumented and busy with other tasks such as government and other religion. Palmistry was thought to be nothing less than fortune telling and the Church had a great deal to say about it, just with tarot and astrology- it was considered evil. However, a small number of books on palmistry were published in Europe from the 16th century and people became fascinated. Palmistry really took off in the 19th century and it became celebrated. At first it was amongst the province of women and one of the most celebrated early palmists of the 19th century was the French Woman, Marie Anne le Normand who was also a gifted tarot card reader and she was considered to be extremely accurate.
It is a fascinating concept! And can be done anywhere with no tools just knowledge! Interestingly palmistry also links in with astrology and a palmist will be able to tell what type of element your hands are - (Earth, Fire, Water, Air).
If palmistry is something that interests you , you can start to practice by taking classes or reading books. However a great starting point is to go ahead and have a palm reading yourself as it is a great way to learn about the basics. Like with any divination, the best way to become established is to keep practicing on those around you. Even complete strangers will do!
You can discover all sort of fascinating information such as who is the bully, who is the extrovert, who is devious and who is trustworthy! You can also discover your life path, your fate line and what your heart really says about you.
Palmistry also allow you to trace information back to someone’s childhood and past life and most of us will be left astounded by the information that we receive as it is always considered to be incredibly accurate, what’s more the comfort of someone holding your hand whilst carrying out a reading is both a relaxing and a reassuring process.
There is also a great deal you can observe in terms of body psychology such as observing the size of someone’s thumb or the general length of their fingers, how they use their fingers and hands. Do they curve? Are they straight? Are they tipped or squared? It is the tiniest of factors that count when taking someone’s palm into consideration and you really will learn how to observe and make your own judgements.
If you want to start practicing now, look at your partners hands, or take note of a complete strangers hands when you first meet them. You may notice they have bigger hands than you, or that they use their hands a lot when expressing themselves. It may even be wise to look at someone’s hands as they are giving a sales pitch, it is down to you to decide whether you believe them or not! It is believed that people who are honest and genuine tend to use their hands more as visual aids as it welcomes an audience in. Not only that, but people that use their hands to express themselves tend to be more expressive in general.
Overall palmistry is there to help you discover a person’s character along with certain events in their life by interpreting the shape and details of their hand. Many people ask if palmistry is an art or a science? It is said to be a bit of both! This is because it combines the intuition and the sensitivity that are already part of an art that requires common sense , intuition and experience to arrive at a sensible answer and interpretation.
What to know
It does not matter which palm you read from but there is an old saying that suggests females are the right hand and males are the left hand. However, most palmists prefer to read the palm in which you use most. I.e.: are you right handed or left handed?
The major lines on the palm are:
1. The heart line. – This sits right at the top of the palm
2. The head line. –Just under the heart line in a slightly diagonal tone
3. The life line. - Curves around the thumb ad sometimes joins with the headline
4. The fate line (Not everybody has this, but don’t worry about that) the fate line usually runs in a straight line up through the palm.
This line is from the pinkie finger to the index finger or vice versa. It's indications are:
- Emotional stability,
- Romantic perspectives
- State of mind
IF it begins:
- below the index finger - content with love life
- below the middle finger - selfish when it comes to love
- Begins in the middle - falls in love easily.
- Straight and short - less interest in romance
- Touches life line - heart broken easily
- Long and curvy - freely expresses emotions
- Straight and parallel to the head line - good handle on emotions
- Wavy - many relationships and lovers, absence of serious relationships
- Circle on the line – easily upset
- Broken line - emotional trauma
- Smaller lines crossing through heart line - emotional trauma
This represents learning style, communication style, intellectualism, and knowledge. A curved line is associated with creativity and spontaneity and a straight line is linked with practicality and a structured approach.
- Short lines - prefers physical achievements over mental ones
- Curved, sloping line - creativity
- Separated from life line - adventure, enthusiasm for life.
- Wavy line - short attention span
- Deep, long line - thinking is clear and focused
- Straight line - thinks realistically
- Donuts or cross in head line - emotional crisis
- Broken head line - inconsistencies in thought
- Multiple crosses through head line - momentous decisions
This begins near the thumb and travels in an arc towards the wrist. Reflects physical and general well being, and major life changes :
- Runs close to thumb - often tired
- Curvy – lots of energy
- Long – deep person
- Short and shallow – manipulation
- Semicircles – enthusiastic
- Curvy - plenty of energy
- Straight and close to the edge of the palm - cautious
- Multiple life lines - extra vitality
- Circle in line indicates – Stagnant
- Break - sudden change in lifestyle
This can also be known as the line of destiny , and it indicates the degree to which a person's life is affected it begins at the base of the palm:
- Deep line - strongly controlled by fate
- Breaks and changes of direction - prone to many changes in life from external forces
- Starts joined to life line - self-made individual; develops aspirations early
- Joins with the life line somewhere in the middle - signifies a point at which one's interests must be surrendered to those of others
- Starts at base of thumb and crosses life line - support offered by family and friends
Sources and citations:
- The Palmistry Bible – Jane Struthers
No comments have been made yet